Trail Ride Information… FAQ’s
- SPRING 2016 RIDE IS MAY 14 2016 WEEKEND. Watch this website for info on registration. I post a “heads up” about a month before I will accept applications… Watch for updates on registration numbers. We do fill up in the first few days
- Check out the entire site: still got a question? email here
- If you don’t have a current Coggins, just mail it later or bring it with you to the trail head! Please DO NOT EMAIL me your Coggins-…printer ink is very expensive and I do not charge any of these costs to the Fire Company. I must ignore any emailed Coggins and applications! I must have a hard copy now or later. THANKS!
- OUR GREAT PHOTOGRAPHER, ALEX TIETHOF, WILL BE ON THE BEACH . He’ll have his very cool magazine covers ready to make you a star! Have you seen his work? Here’s the link to his website: http://www.aktpics.com/estr
- Please: DO NOT SCAN AND EMAIL ANY DOX..NOT COGGINS…NOT APPS…I’M NOT GOING TO PRINT ANYTHING AND I MUST HAVE PAPER DOX IN MY POSSESSION AT THE TRAIL RIDE. JUST FYI NONE OF THE EXPENSES OF THIS WEBSITE NOR ANY COMPUTER PROGRAMS ARE CHARGED TO THE FIRE DEPT. I DONATE ALL SO I DON’T USE MY PRINTER INK-YOU WILL USE THE US MAIL! THANKS! Do not sign apps for other riders unless they are your underage children.
- CORRALS: All corrals have been purchased~bring your temporary corrals and/or high lines! Life time corrals are owned and repaired etc by the Fire Company, and leased for the lifetime of the ride to the “purchasers”.
WHAT: Ride Thur and Friday in the woods, Saturday and Sunday-2 trail rides on beaches, in the bay, woods and fields. Includes Saturday lunch on the trail and Primitive camping. Porta-Potties & horse water. Campers welcome Thur after 1p. but before dark but you must notify me in advance that you are arriving on Thur.(See the application) Horse troughs are in place at camp, and we have a shallow well which you can access with buckets. Potable water. No horse washing! This is primitive camping- no hook-ups, no electric
- TRAILS: THUR 5 mi FRI: 3 or 10 mile ride (does NOT include the beach)
SAT: REG Ride 15 Miles… LONG Ride 20 miles
SUN: “Sunday” 13 Miles or LONG 20 miles
***PLEASE NOTE: Saturday- Ride out time is determined by the TIDES and changes for each ride…Please see ride out time on application!!
- NO:Sorry, no refunds, no transfers-not fair to folks on the wait list nor the Fire Company. Some folks have argued that if they cancel, then we can let somebody else in..well, not everyone is sitting on the edge of their chair waiting for my last minute call, and since all food is purchased in advance based on sales, the fire company loses money on wasted food. So please work with me on this! We are fortunate that so many people enjoy this ride, but rulz iz rulz… and we thank you for understanding the logistics of putting on an event of this magnitude. And if you are reading this, then you probably are not the people I’m writing to! LOL!
- Rain or Shine….Sorry, NO alcohol, NO dogs on trails! NO loose dogs in camp! NO ponying, No doubles!
- Directions:WATCH FOR LARGE “TRAIL RIDE” SIGNS ON HIGHWAYS
- Directions: From the South: Rt 13 North from Virginia Beach to Machipongo, (about 18 miles North of Ches. Bay Bridge Tunnel) LEFT across Rt 13 at Rt 628(Wilsonia Neck Rd), Immediate RIGHT on Rt 618 (BAYSIDE RD). Stay on BAYSIDE RD for about 5 miles (ignore changes in route #s) LEFT on CEDAR GROVE FARM ROAD,(Rt 695), Right on SECOND dirt road to camp site.
From the North: Approx 73 miles South of Salisbury MD, just past Mile 99, RIGHT at LIGHT Route #604 BAYSIDE ROAD (becomes Rt 618 immediately. Ignore rt changes), stay on Bayside Road for 7 miles. RIGHT on CEDAR GROVE FARM LANE (Rt 695) Right on SECOND dirt road to camp site.
- Mapquest: 7169 Cedar Grove Farm Rd, Machipongo VA 23405
- GPS: N37026.891′ W075054.296′
- HUNGRY? INCLUDES HAMBURGER/HOTDOG LUNCH ON THE TRAIL SATURDAY And SATURDAY SUPPER. Fire Company sells big cowboy breakfasts Sat/Sun.
- DOGS:ALL DOGS MUST REMAIN ON LEASH IN CAMP-This is strictly enforced and violaters will be told to leave the campground without refund. — Please clean up the poo-I hate finding it under my feet….NO DOGS ON TRAILS!!!!!
- WHEN:PRE-REGISTRATION ONLY! See the application NO ADMITTANCE UNLESS PRE-REGISTERED..Thank you for your cooperation. LIMITED TO 250 RIDERS WATCH WEBSITE FOR UPDATES
- YOUR HORSE:Your horse does not need shoes for this ride, but your horse and YOU must be fit and able to ride. It can be very hot..The land is almost flat, but the trail is 15 miles on Saturday to the beach and back. (long riders go 20+ miles) No riding double, no kid seats, no ponying and no bareback. We must do all we can to be safe, or we may lose the right to use the private lands. Thank you!
YOUR HEAD:NO RIDERS UNDER 18 WITHOUT HELMETS-STRICTLY ENFORCED (Recommended for ALL riders…)
- Corral rental fees are non-refundable, non-transferrable.
- Mailing address for Applications etc: Kathee Gladden PO Box 101 Marionville Va 23408 Make checks payable to NFRC